Skip to main content



[Your name]
[Address line 1]
[Address line 2]
[Address line 3]
[Loan company name and department]
[Address line 1]
[Address line 2]
[Address line 3]

Dear Sir/Madam

Re: Loan number [insert loan number]

I am writing to complain about the service I have received from [insert name(s) of loan company] in relation to [the insert loan amount] you sold me on [insert date].
My complaint relates to [insert details of complaint – examples could be that the loan company did not check your level of income to ensure you could afford to repay the loan / 
  • did not make it clear how much it would cost to repay / 
  • did not tell you in advance that they were going to take money from your bank account / 
  • not treated you sympathetically if you had problems repaying the loan /
  • did not offer to freeze interest and charges and suggest a reasonable repayment plan
This has put me in a very difficult financial situation. [state your situation - for example, you are on a low income and unable to repay the loan as well as pay rent/mortgage, pay child maintenance, council tax, gas and electricity bills. 
To enable me to repay the loan, I would like you to [state what you would like the loan company to do and suggest a timescale. For example, freeze on-going interest and charges, and allow you to repay a small regular amount each week until the balance is repaid.  As outlined in the Financial Conduct Authority’s guidance on irresponsible lending, you have a duty to treat me fairly and consider my request if a customer informs you they are not able to make payments. 
If I’m not happy with your response, I will take my complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service. I’m aware that you have eight weeks in which to look into my complaint and respond. I look forward to receiving your response.

Yours faithfully

[Insert signature]

[Your full name]

Complaints to DWP
Tower Hamlets

You can either email complaints or write to DWP to make a complaint.  Send complaint letters to the address on the top of letter and mark it ‘COMPLAINT’, unfortunately in our experience letters it’s a bit hit and miss whether they will get it, let alone in good time or actioned on! DWP have recommend that where ever possible – email complaint or take paper version to the local office and request that I is scanned and sent to the correct department

Local operational sites

·   uk Complaints about  ESA Work Capability Assessments JCP HACKNEY bdc customer services

·    Complaints about ESA claims and maintenance

· - central inbox from where complaints and correspondence can be sent and will then be forwarded to the relevant team.

National email contacts

·   Personal Independence Payment

·   Universal Credit

Escalating Complaint contact Tier 1 complaint

- If you’re not getting the service you expect from that intervention, you can raise a formal complaint to:

-  or 

Team Manager: Jennie Wright Complaints Resolution Team Manager, Department of Work and Pensions | London & Essex Complaints Resolution, Acton Job Centre, Mail Handling Site A, Wolverhampton, WV98 1HH

Direct Dial: 0208 8118230 Mobile 07384876724Textphone 0845 608 855

General Complaints contacts and escalation to Tier 2 

- The ‘correspondence’ email above is also the mailbox to use if you want to escalate your complaint to Tier 2, if you’ve had an unsatisfactory response from the first tier teams outlined above.

General Guidance on DWP Complaints Procedure

- Contact the office that deals with that particular claim.  If this is not possible, call the helpline and explain the complaint - what has happened, how this has affected the client/their family and what should happen to put things right. The front line officer should try to resolve the complaint there and then. They may engage the team leader or manager in order to reach a solution, and promise a call back within 48 hours. 

 -  If you/the client are dissatisfied with the outcome at this stage, it should be passed on to a complaint resolution manager who should provide a full response within 15 working days. This is known as a Tier 1 complaint.

  -  If the response is still not satisfactory, the next stage is to write to the Director General of Operations for DWP with details of the complaint and the reason you are not satisfied with the outcome. They aim to deal with complaints within 15 working days. This is called Tier 2 complaint.

  -  If you are still unhappy with the outcome at this stage, you can ask the Independent Case Examiner (ICE) to investigate the complaint. ICE is independent and impartial. Complaints to ICE can be made in writing or by telephone. More details can be found in their website. ICE will refuse to register a complaint from someone who has not yet exhausted all stages of the internal procedure. A complaint to ICE should be made no later than six months from the final response.

  - Finally, you can approach your local MP if you are still not satisfied having gone through the full internal procedure, asking the MP to forward the matter to the Parliamentary Ombudsman. You will need to complete a form and attach copies of all previous correspondences. Form can be downloaded from parliamentary ombudsmen website.

Other complaints resources

National partnership team contacts
The partnership managers should be able to give you the email address for the district complaints resolution teams (CRT):


 Judicial Review Project Contact and Template Letters

CPAG Welfare Benefits and Tax Credits Handbook  Chapter on Complaints

Complaining about your phone or internet service provider

If you wish to file a complaint or dispute a bill, follow these steps:
1.      Contact your provider’s customer service directly.

2.       If this doesn’t work, make a formal complaint to the company. Information on how to do this will usually be on the back of the bill or on the website.

3.       If the provider is unable to resolve the issue, ask for a letter giving your supplier’s final response. If you are unhappy with this final response, you can then take your complaint to an Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) scheme.

ADRs will assess the case from both sides and will usually come to a decision within six weeks.

If the ADR scheme agrees with your complaint, it can order the service provider to fix the issue, make a payment to you or take other steps. This decision is final and binding on the provider. It cannot be appealed or overturned, however, you are still free to seek legal advice if you do not accept the ADR scheme’s decision.

If you have not received the decision in 8 weeks, you can contact the ADR directly (see below).

ADR scheme contact information:
All service providers must belong to one of these schemes:

Ombudsman Services: Communications
Phone: 0330 440 1614

The Communications and Internet Services Adjudication Scheme (CISAS)
Phone: 020 7520 3814

You can use Ofcom’s ADR checker to see which organisation your provider belongs to:
Complaining about your housing
You can complain to your landlord if they’re doing something you’re unhappy about, for example:
-          If they are harassing you, e.g. entering your home without your permission
-          If they aren’t doing repairs they’re responsible for
-          If they discriminate against you, e.g. charging you a higher rent or deposit based on your age, sex, race, nationality.

1.    Write to your landlord about the problem. Keep a copy of the letter.

2.    If this does not resolve the issue, complain to a designated person. This can be your MP, local councilor or Tenant Panel. If they cannot help, they can refer the complaint to the Housing Ombudsman.

3.    Escalate the complaint to the Ombudsman. You can do this 8 weeks after your landlord has given their final response to your complaint, or if you have not received a reply after 8 weeks.
The Ombudsman may:
-           Refer your case to a different organisation if the issue is not within their jurisdiction.
-          Work with you and your landlord if they believe there is a way to resolve the issue.
-          Carry out an investigation if appropriate.
The Housing Ombudsman resolve housing disputes independently and impartially and will consider both sides of the issue.

Housing Ombudsman contact details:

Phone: 0300 111 3000


Complaining about your water provider
You can complain to your water company if they’re doing something you’re unhappy about, for example:
-          Interruption to your water supply
-          Water pressure
-          Failure to keep an appointment
-          Their response to account queries
-          Sewer flooding
-          Installing meters

1.    Write to your water company. Keep a copy of the letter. You should receive a reply within 10 working days. If not, the company must pay compensation within 10 working days.          

2.    Complain to the Consumer Council for Water (CCWater) if you are unhappy with the water company’s response.
The CCWater is an independent organisation that deals with complaints about water companies. They are there to answer your questions, provide guidance and information, and take up unresolved complaints to water companies.        
If the CCWater cannot resolve the issue they will refer you to OFWAT, or you can do so directly if you are unhappy with the outcome. You should contact CCWater first as they will usually deal with complaints more quickly.

3. Complain to the Office of Water Services (OFWAT).
The OFWAT is an independent organisation set up by the government to monitor and regulate water companies.

Contact information:
Phone: 0845 039 2837

Phone: 0121 625 1422


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A debt free path for a mental health sufferer

It’s a well-known fact that individuals who suffer from a hampered mental capacity - be it mental health or learning difficulties - are most likely to be vulnerable in our communities. They are also more likely to be victims of miss-sold products and services by companies, even though organisations that are providing financial products and services have a duty under the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) to take extra care towards these individuals. This is what the FCA has to say about vulnerable customers: ‘  The vulnerability of the customer, in particular where the firm understands the customer has some form of mental capacity limitation or reasonably suspects this to be so because the customer displays indications of some form of mental capacity limitation  (see  ■  CONC 2.10) But due to a culture of intensive selling to consumers, generated by employers placing and enforcing - often difficult and unrealistic - performance goals which are attached to tempting

Betar Bangla radio’s Ripon Ray: How fashionista turned political activist and debt advisor

PUBLISHED:  09:02 13 March 2019 |  UPDATED:  09:03 13 March 2019 Emma Bartholomew Ripon Ray: Picture: Rukya Khan ​Debt advisor and radio talk show host Ripon Ray tells Emma Bartholomew how he’s seeing more and more people who are unable to just pay the basic bills Ripon Ray: Picture: Nick De Marco Self-confessed “arty-farty creative” Ripon Ray originally set out to be a fashionista in life, when he “found his calling” and changed track to become an activist. He’d been studying at the London School of Fashion, but going on an anti-fascist protest “triggered a couple of things”. “I dumped my studies and went to Kingsley College where I was doing full-on activism, and organising protest marches,” he told the  Gazette . “I loved it but I got kicked out of there because I was too much of an activist and I wasn’t focusing on my studies.” He knuckled under, bagged a history degree and started out in the charity sector as a housing advisor. Being mugged i

Is Council Tax really Poll Tax? Where is the momentum for a new campaign?

‘I have not been able to pay my council tax for last four years. Bailiffs have lied to me to get money from me. I still can’t afford it!’  says Joanna Robinson on Money Matters show on East London Radio in March 2018.   During the period 2016-17, bailiffs were used by councils on nearly 1.5 million occasions in order to attempt recovery of council tax arrears. As in Joanna's case, residents were summoned to court for being too poor to pay - accruing court costs, subjected to the ignominy and anxiety having to face enforcement agents, and already too poor to pay, further indebtedness.   As I hear the horror stories of bailiff’s knocking on debtors’ doors under the new Council Tax Reduction Scheme (CTRS), I am beginning to worry that the Scheme is really just a Poll Tax rehash. I was too young to remember what the Poll Tax was when it was first introduced in the late 1980s. My parents never spoke about it. In my work I started to notice from 2013 onwards that mo